Property owners realize that in regards to maintenance and fixings, spotting the trouble firstly and amending it speedily are sound economical schemes. Disregarding a maintenance or repair problem can cause much more expensive repairs moving forward and could even possibly put you or your residents at hazard.
One issue that can catch property owners and residents unprepared is the materialization of mold in the residence. Because it starts slowly and also disperses slowly, frequently inside walls or concealed within other structures, some molds can apparently go from invisible to a grave health hazard just like that.
There are several varied kinds of molds, but the toxic variety is called Black Mold, or Stachybotrys atra. Often a slimy greenish-black or gray as far you can see, toxic mold grows in damp places in the home including leaky roofs, windows, or pipes, or even under floors and in ceilings if you’ve had a flood or leak. Black Mold gives off a nasty musty odor, and when present can badly limit your ability to pledge to the safety of a rental home. It is important to note, Stachybotrys molds are not always black, meaning molds of different colors could also be dangerous. In other words, there’s no way to tell just by looking whether you’re dealing with toxic or harmless mold.
While mold, generally is very common in damp indoor environments, Stachybotrys is less common than other mold species, including Cladosporium, Penicillium, Aspergillus, and Alternaria. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) doesn’t have data about how often Stachybotrys molds are found in buildings, but it’s less common than showy media reports would prefer to admit.
The presence of toxic mold is a serious health worry. The CDC reports tie between the presence of mold in the home and serious health effects, including respiratory problems (coughing or wheezing, throat irritation, nasal stuffiness), eye irritation, or skin irritation. People with allergies, asthma or lung disease may be even more sharply affected, bringing serious infections in the lungs or other life-threatening conditions.
Attributable to the danger brought up by toxic mold, it’s urgent to get a handle on an outbreak as effectively as possible. As a landlord, you may be held accountable if you are aware that mold is present in a rental home but fail to take the right steps to deal with it.
Over legal liability, toxic mold can give rise to severe damage to a rental home if left unbridled. Mold grows well wherever a steady supply of moisture is present. It can grow on cardboard, ceiling tiles, wallpaper, carpet, and upholstery. It can also grow on wood products, including the wood inside walls and floors, on insulation, and even on drywall and paint. With so much at risk in your rental properties, it’s vital to execute regular maintenance that includes good mold prevention strategies.
Call the Experts
Strangely enough, some property management companies don’t think of mold as a serious issue. They may try to evade costs by disregarding water damage or telling residents to deal with it themselves. But mold should never be handled casually and placing the health of your residents at risk is not at all a good idea. The serious character of the damages caused by ignoring mold makes it a job for a company that will work to keep you and your residents from unwanted outcomes.
At Real Property Management Excellence, we are fully aware of the hazards that rampant growths of mold present to rental property owners. Our team of experienced property managers and service professionals in Apex will approach the issue ahead of time and rectify it, thereby saving you both time and money. Would you like a free assessment of your rental property? Please contact us online or call us at 919-827-1107 for more information.
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.